Brands are looking for new ways to put their content out there. With so many new brands online and saturated social media feeds, finding the “next big platform” (or tool) should be a top priority. If you want to grow, you need to expand to wherever your potential customers are spending time. Here is why brands are using Instagram Reels to grow in 2022.
What are Reels?
Instagram used to be a straightforward platform of square pictures in a feed. Now, the 11-year-old company has expanded to compete with Facebook and Snapchat, allowing users to use video, go live and produce stories that don’t stick around in the feeds forever. Reels are short videos that compete with TikTok and other short-format video platforms.
On Reels, you get 15 seconds of film time per post. This allows users to post collections of short, interesting Instagram videos in a 9:16 aspect ratio. Also similar to TikTok, you are able to choose a music clip you like to overlay on your video content for a Reel post. You can add effects to your video, draw on it, add stickers and place text.
Why are Reels Important for Brands?
So, why take on another platform? Instagram is a wavemaker with a lot of eyes on it right now. According to recent statistics:
- Instagram is the 6th most-visited website and 9th most popular Google query.
- Instagram ranks 4th in apps with the most users (beating Facebook and WhatsApp!).
- 81% of people say they use Instagram to learn about brands, products and services.
When Instagram started rolling out Reels, they were watching to see what the engagement rates looked like. Sports teams and brands were using Reels to help boost engagement. Now, teams like the Los Angeles Lakers are getting numbers like 2.3 million views, with 282k likes and 2,270 comments on a single Reel.
And, that’s only one example. Kim Kardashian is getting upwards of 9 million – 30 million views with millions of likes and thousands of comments per Reel. Macy’s also has their Reel game in high gear, with many landing over 50k and some close to 150k views.
Reels offer something many other social media platform tools don’t. They:
- Support authenticity through less formal content
- Provide an outlet for creative ideas and testing
- Encourage brands to connect quickly to grab attention
- Allow content to be reused from other (longer) sources
- Permit brands to add popular music or join in on trends
- Enable you to order clips for storytelling or cohesion
- Offers a way to share valuable tips and insights
How Are Brands Using Instagram Reels to Grow in 2022?
Are you looking to add Instagram Reels to your content strategy for 2022? It’s a great idea to start utilizing them if your audience spends time on Instagram. Here is what other brands are doing right with Reels and will keep doing throughout 2022.
Watching for Trending Content
First of all, brands need to know the platform before they start using it. Take time to learn the ropes and best practices—you know, those little unsaid ways of using the platform tools. Most grownup brand accounts who really get the platform are going to use the filters and stickers sparingly. You need to know the rules before you will know how to break them correctly.
- Always post clear content (no blurry videos!) and get your point across in 15 seconds or less.
- Stick with your brand aesthetic, though you can use less formal video, lighting and editing for Reels to give a less cultivated look.
- Don’t limit yourself to platform tools. You can create videos with other tools and better fonts, for example. But be careful and make sure your video speaks more than your headlines or subtitles!
- Make content valuable to the viewer by creating funny, inspirational, mind-blowing or informative videos.
- Try out special effects that other influencers or brands are using
- Don’t produce content that only centers on your brand—branch out to food, crafts, life hacks or other topics your audience cares about that fits with your branding.
- Watch for trending sounds and music you can use to match the vibe of the trend. Even if you choose remix the trend for a new spin, make sure you understand the trend before you use the sound!
Crediting Original Creators
Do NOT steal content, or you will be black-labeled by fans and other content creators. Hopefully, you know this from other platforms, but brands should always credit original creators if they are trying to redo a piece of content or use it in any way.
Is your model standing in front of a mural? At least credit the artist with a hashtag! Are you featuring an influencer? Tag them when you post. Did you get a recipe from a blog? Tag the account so your audience can go get the recipe. Did you get a dance move from another artist? Tag them!
The more connections you can make in this online world, the better. There is no point in being stingy with your love because many audiences don’t like dead ends. Plus, when you tag another brand, content creator or artist, you are more likely to get a nod back, which may increase your reach.
Utilizing Reels and Live Analytics
A press release in 2021 announced the release of insights for Reels and Live on Instagram Business and Creator accounts. Brands are using this insight to help them create content that connects more powerfully with their audience. This is beneficial information that helps you develop better strategies and set goals for future campaigns.
You can test your campaigns to see if specific fonts, visuals, style trends, sounds or subjects appeal more to your audience. This is a great place to try out more experimental concepts with a high potential for going viral if you strike the right chord.
It’s the perfect time to boost your social media marketing strategies by incorporating new content styles and platforms. Vinci Digital can help you use the right tools and marketing methods to attract a broader audience fo